Unlearn 1.0: Preventing Harassment and Discrimination in an Educational Space
Speaker: Abigail Leeder, University of Oregon, USA
Abigail Leeder, MA, serves as the Director of Experiential Education and Prevention Initiatives at the University of Oregon. Abigail is the director of two social justice theatre troupes at the UO; the Sexual Wellness Advocacy Team, a peer education group that uses theatre to engage students about healthy sexual relationships, and Rehearsals for Life, a graduate student theatre ensemble that addresses issues of equity and inclusion on campus and beyond. Abigail is trained as a Drama Therapist and has published articles on her work with incarcerated women and on theatre as a tool for personal growth and empowerment for women. Some of her presentations include: ‘Interrupting Oppression in Everyday Situations’ presented at the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity, ‘Sexual violence prevention through bystander intervention: A social norms intervention’ presented at the Western Psychological Association Conference Darlington and ‘Appropriate Sanctions for Students Found Responsible for Sexual Misconduct’ at Oregon University System Best Practices in Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Conference. She presents and consults nationally on her work with theatre as a tool for prevention initiatives on college campuses.
Date: Sunday, November 22, 2020
Please login to view the event video.
Unlearn 1.0 Resources:
- 2003 – Nation et al. – What works in prevention
- 2014 – Smith and Freyd – Institutional Betrayal
- 2016 – Addressing Sexual Violence – American College Health Association
- 2020 – Socio-Ecological Model for Violence Prevention – CDC
- Clark College – ABCs of Social Justice
- Social Justice Glossary – OSRL – King’s College
- Clery Act by KnowYourIX
- Title IX Act and Resources by the U.S. Justice Department
- American Psychological Association on Bullying
- YouTube Video of Rehearsals for Life